Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hands

I was thinking about hands today. More precisely, I was thinking about my mother's hands. They were not beautiful by the world's standards with immaculately kept nails, soft skin, and tapered fingers. Her hands were hard-working and productive and it showed! As a nurse, her hands soothed and ministered to many a sick or dying patient. As a mother, these same hands could be both gentle and firm! When I think back I can almost feel her tender touch on my forehead burning with fever. In my mind's eye I can see her gently patting my infant daughter as she "whispered" her to sleep. They were like the hands of the Proverbs 31 woman: "She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands...she sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for the task...She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy." I want hands like hers!

1 comment:

  1. I think that blogging comes naturally to you. What healing you seem to be following, my friend!

    I loved hearing about your parents. I have the hands of my mother and my grandmother. Why are those the things we remember?

    Blessings...Jacy Trane

    ReplyDelete