Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hyacinths for the Soul

Today I bought some hyacinths to decorate the tables for our Women of God meeting. Hyacinths always make me think of my mother. She loved them. She often said that everyone needs a hyacinth for his or her soul now and then. Not an actual plant, but something to bring joy into your life. She and my father shared this belief. Sometimes, when times were tough, they bought themselves a hyacinth for their souls: something beautiful, not needful; something to lift their spirits, not to put food on the table. I remember my Dad quoting a poem about hyacinths, so I looked it up. I found this poem by a 13th century Persian poet.

If, of thy mortal goods, thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store two loaves
alone to thee art left
Sell one and from the dole,
Buy hyacinths to feed the soul.

And also: "If I had but two loaves of bread I would sell one of them and buy White Hyacinths to feed my soul." Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915)

God is beautiful! And we are made in His image. Our souls need things of beauty to inspire us. Flowers. Poems. Music. Art. A pleasantly decorated home. A good book. All can "feed the soul."

I hope for more hyacinths to feed my soul.

Janie Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment